Sunday, July 12, 2009

It's Funny How Things Hit You

This morning I was sitting in church and we had a guest singing group, a barber shop style quartet. They sang a few songs and then they sang Amazing Grace. I have heard this song a thousand times. Most memorably at my Aunt Grace's Funeral.

It's a song about the Christian Faith and the lyrics were written by John Newton. It was inspired by a rough night at sea, and he began to pray for help from God. It's funny how in our darkest hour we are usually brought closer to our faith. I know my faith was deepened because all I could do was pray for help so many times. I thought I was going crazy & how could I possibly live the rest of my life this way.

As I listened to the lyrics this morning I began to cry. I remembered the darkness that I felt when I was in the midst of the panic and anxiety. The loneliness and total sadness. I thought it would never end. Then one day the veil began to lift. I started sleeping & the fear didn't have such a strong hold on me.

The tears this morning were that of joy. I once was lost, but then I was found. Was blind but now I see. Amazing Grace absolutely. My life was saved & now is full and bright.

I wanted to share this story with you that maybe you can look at a song that means one thing to so many, but might be able to take on a new meaning for you & offer a little hope and insight of what is possible. If it came to me, why couldn't it come to you. Just hold on through the dark storms of life, the sun will shine soon.

I am here anytime you need a friend or a boost. Have a great tomorrow!

Amazing Grace
John Newton (1725-1807)
Stanza 6 anon.


Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.
Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

All the best,
Amy

Quote of the Day

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten." ~Tony Robbins

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

amazing grace could be the cry of every human heart. if accepted it will take us to eternal life in heaven.
while we endure on earth your site along with jonathan's and flylady's have helped me so much. patrice helped me get supplements from designs for health. exercising with jonathan has helped me to drop a blood pressure pill. flylady has done lots for me. i love your tracking sheets. i have journalsed for years and tracking is just so natural for me. i decorate journals for income.would you be interested in selling them on your site?susan4mk@yahoo.com