Thursday, July 16, 2009

Assuming the Worst?

You have just been told a little bit of bad news - Do you immediately play the movie in your head or all the terrible things that could go wrong? Is the movie on a constant loop? Mine always was. I also seemed to be surrounded with people that reminded me how bad it could all get.

Here's a trick that I found that works great for me. Whenever an obstacle comes my way I have two choices of how to handle it.

I will -

Journal about it & at the end of the entry decide a date that I will continue to think about it. 3 days, a week, a month....When that though comes in I remind myself that the date has not approached. Now, you will have to keep saying that over and over until your mind moves on. It's like a little child pulling at your pants leg.

Make a task list that I can make a plan of action. Things that might resolve or make the situation better.

When my mind wants to play that movie I just think of my journal or list. "I can only do what I can do".

Remember only about 3% of what you imagine to happen ever does. That means 97% fall off in the ditch before arriving to you. Pretty good odds - don't you think?

Now this will all take some practice. Just know it is reprogramming your mind. Takes time and patience.

I am always close by if you have a question or need a boost.

Hope today is a good one. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Wishing you all the best,
Amy

Quote of the Day

"A true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths; feels your fears but fortifies your faith; sees your anxieties but frees your spirit; recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities."
~William Arthur Ward

This is eggactly how I feel about all of you! Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your life. -Amy

0 Comments: