Monday, June 29, 2009

Quiet Your Mind

Quiet Your Mind

Last night as I was lying in bed I had so many thoughts flooding through my mind. I remember a trick that would help those thoughts stop and quiet my mind. I know during my anxiety my mind was always on the run. I never had quiet time or simple thoughts. It seemed like my mind was running from one fear to the next. So as I lay there with my mind racing, I started to push the thoughts out as they came in. Sort of like a video game, whereas you see the words flying into your mind a block pushes them out. Now it sounds easy, but my mind is much quicker than that. So as I tried to fall asleep, I just pictured a blank space and pushed out each thought as it just began to come in my mind. So tonight, as you go to sleep, try this mind exercise. The first dozen times that you try it. It will feel like a challenge. But very quickly it will train your mind to be quiet. I used to be so envious of people who just walked through the grocery store with a blank stare. It seemed like their mind was empty and they were at peace. Meanwhile, mine was worried about everything. It could be that I would forget everything, a fear of a robbery - even though there was no reason, or event may be my debit card would have problems & I would stress out. There was never rationale behind these fears. It just seemed any chance my minds had to make crazy stories it would. I seem to fear everything. And then there were those people who seem to have no fear and no worry. I wanted to be them! Great news, it all gets better. It just takes practice and rerouting the way your mind works. Easy right? Don't worry, it's not half as hard as you think. Eggscription for today: Quiet Mind Exercise as you fall asleep. It will help your mind focus on something. We all need that.

Sweet Dreams,

Amy


Quote of the Day

"A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's book." ~Irish Proverb

0 Comments: