Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Creature of Habit

I found that when my life was spiraling out of control, nothing helped me more than putting routines in my day.

I couldn't control how I was feeling or when the panic would strike, but I could control some things in my life.

I put myself on a morning routine when I woke up. It helped to give me time to focus on myself without my family underfoot & helped so that I was prepared for the things I knew that would come up for the day. I have found that making a list of things I need to accomplish that day kept me from feeling overwhelmed.

Our children need routines in order to know what is coming next & it gives them stability. I think some of us always need that feeling.

It may not work for you, but for me doing everything in the same order keeps me sane. In the morning everything is done a certain way before the kids wake up. I am up long before they are. If I wake when they do I am off to a bad start. Every evening, I follow the same pattern. I have room in my day for detours, but I jump back on track as soon as I can. At night I have my "Nesting" Habit - I started that when I was having night panic attacks. I haven't had one since I give myself time to wind down from the day.

Find what works for you, but it seems routines are the key to finding a little more peace and time in your day. Just make sure you don't have more in your routine than time would allow. Start simple!

I am always here if you have questions or comments.

All the best,
Amy

Quote of the Day

"You can be a beacon of inspiration by doing no more than your daily routine. And, yes, it must be a different routine than what you have now."
Rodney Lovell

0 Comments: