Monday, March 16, 2009

What Are You Doing Before Bed?

Do you have a bedtime ritual that you do every night in order to wind down? Over the last few years I have developed a routine I do every night, no matter what time I go to bed.

I have found that knowing what my evening is going to consists of gives me great peace. I also don't get that dreaded worry about panic attacks at night anymore. Every night is the same & last night I was OK.

"My Time" usually starts an hour before bed.

· I make sure everything is prepared for tomorrow.

· My list is started for the next day & on my desk waiting to help me through my day.

· My room is clean and clutter free. Clutter makes me nervous when I try to sleep. I seem to think about everything I should be doing.

· I like to take a warm shower and I use lavender lotion after I get out.

· Cozy jammies are a must & clean sheets.

· I never read or watch anything that is going to give me problems through the night. No Cops, medical programs, or the news. Truthfully I never watch those. No true crime books at bedtime either.

· I like to read a devotional page, write in my journal & focus on my visions for how I want my day tomorrow to go. Make sure you are not addressing worries before bed, no balancing the budget either. No worries at bedtime.

· Sometimes if the voices in my head are too loud, a tape of the ocean, a meditation, or I like to watch TV on captions. The captions force my brain to work and the voices have no time to come in. Before I know it I am fast asleep. Thank goodness for my TV timer.

· If you are going to sleep in a dark quiet room this is a great time to work on those deep breaths all the way to your belly.

· I also keep a glass of water by the bed. If I start getting that nervous feeling - a large drink of water seems to help.
What works for you? Come by the forum and give us some ideas. It might really help another Peep have a great night's sleep.

Sweet Dreams,
Amy

Quote of the Day

A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's book. ~Irish Proverb

3 Comments:

Natalie C. said...

Last night thinking of going to a good place before bed, I put my ipod on the speakers and as I was putting on lotion, brushing teeth & all bedtime stuff, I played a playlist I created called "Relaxing." I created it for other occasions, but it occurred to me that it would be perfect to listen to right before bed. Duh! Why didn't I think of that before? :) It helped a lot.

The Hatched Egg said...

Yeah! What a great routine! LOVE IT!!!!

Go Natalie!

Hugs,
Amy

Anonymous said...

I never try to watch anything like that before bed. I like funny things.