Friday, February 27, 2009

Are You in Control?

Recently when I started seeing a massage therapist, her first comment was "Wow, you are usually in control." Funny thing is that I have always considered myself to be very passive, a people pleaser. I thought that is what gave me most of the stress in my life. Not being able to please everyone & be happy myself.

Truth is that I like to have control of most things. I manage my home, the finances, kids, have a stressful job, and help make the major decisions. After a lot of thought - I really do like control. I think this is the source of a lot of my stress.

The desire for control really made the anxiety & panic hard to handle. I could not control it. It had a mind of it's own & took over anytime it felt like it. You see my anxiety is like a stealth being that can slip around and change how I feel in an instant. Panicked, hiding in a closet - or a nervous cat tied in a knot. I did not like being out of control. The more I fought it the worse I got. I thought one day I would just drop dead. Sound familiar?

Today I am working really hard to "live in the moment", and soften my control. It's not easy, but a work in progress. Babysteps right? My kids can tell you that I am more fun to be around now.

Are you fighting for control? Try letting go just a little, you might be surprised at the results.

Wishing you all the best,
Amy

***3 days Sugar Free for me - Are you ready for the Sugar Free Challenge?

Quote of the Day

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

0 Comments: