Sunday, February 15, 2009

Posture Check

Are you sitting up straight? Is that breath able to get deep in your belly?

Did you know that deep belly breathing will move the oxygen through the blood & help the lymphatic system move the toxins out? If your lymphatic system is slow or sluggish it could cause weight gain, muscle loss, high blood pressure, fatigue, and inflammation.

A few years ago I realized that I am a very shallow breather. In times of stress I often hold my breath. That really messes up your body function. You are not getting enough oxygen & enough carbon dioxide is not going out. This can cause fatigue and brain fog. Deep breathing from the belly can start the relaxation response that will fight anxiety, stress and depression. I am not sure why but as I breathe deeper it will signal my sinuses to start draining. Less congestion is a great thing!

Didn't know that breathing was so important did you? We have to make sure a few times a day we are focused on our breathing. In through the nose very slow, all the way to the bottom of our stomach and out the mouth. It amazes me that after 10 of these breaths how much better I feel. I wonder what would happen if it was an all time habit?

New research is also showing that better posture helps lessen the symptoms of depression. If you are folded over it's not a very positive position either. If you want to tackle the day you have to be ready and not slouched to the floor. I personally feel happier when I walk with my posture in a straight line. Might just be me, but I feel very sad when I am all dropped over. Stand in a mirror and just see the difference from the side and front. It's amazing how empowered you feel when you are standing up straight.

Check on yourself every so often. Maybe as you fall asleep tonight focus on your deep breathing before you drift off, I will be. And as you walk tomorrow do a self check to make sure you are walking with those shoulders back.

Your Mother Always Told You to Sit Up Straight!
I notice that when I sit at my computer I have a bad habit of slouching. Doing this folds my chest and makes it very hard to get the full belly breath that we need. Messes up all of my chemicals.

Next time you are surfing the web, make sure that you are sitting up straight. This is also a good time to practice those breathing exercises. Move that oxygen all around!

Wishing you all the best,
Amy

Quote for the Day
"For breath is life, and if you breathe well you will live long on earth." Sanskrit Proverb

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to watch my posture if I don't it just makes managing my pain that much more difficult.I have to correct myself often through the day.

As women especially we need to pay attention to posture and breathing so we can maximize the oxygen getting to our bones to fight the effects of osteoporosis as we get older.

One good way to practice posture and breathing is through daily meditation if one is able to fit it into their schedule.

Great post.More so great food for thought.