Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Music Can Speak to Your Soul


I have found that music can really transform the way I am feeling. Feeling anxious, stressed, depressed or panicked - I can pop a CD in and I start to feel a little better.

I will admit this to you, I am not a good singer. Although if I have a song that I know and I can sing along it gets my mind off of what is bugging me.

What music changes the way you feel? Do you keep it handy? Do you ever just let loose and sing outload in the car? How can that make you do anything but smile.

Here is an interesting fact: Music can relieve stress, lower blood pressure, reduce anxiety and depression and promote a sense of well-being. It can even enhance performance by increasing levels of certain beneficial hormones.

Pay attention to the music you encounter, and see how it makes you feel. Do you feel empowered, relaxed, happy? Or does it remind you of someone, bad childhood or make you nervous. Once you have identified the ones that truly make you happy, keep them close at hand. They can make you change the way you feel.

Music is also a great way to do your breathing exercises. Pop some soothing music in your MP3, stretch out on your bed and practice your breathing. (Body relaxed, breathe through your nose slowly 10 sec, out through the mouth 10 seconds, repeat 10 times - make sure these are full bell breaths). Then see how you feel. You will be amazed.

My MP3 is full of music that I love to workout to, songs that make me happy, and calming songs. I love to listen to my music at night when I work on my site. I feel like it helps me to focus better.

Just another tool for your healing arsenal.


Wishing you peaceful thoughts today,
Amy



Quote of the Day

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
Red Auerbach


0 Comments: