Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Living in the Moment!

Are we so busy living in the past or future that we are missing joyous opportunities in our day? How about that negative self-talk is it so loud we can't hear the voices of our children?

We have talked about it before, but it is so important to work on living in the now. Sounds pretty easy, but if you are suffering from anxiety/depression you know just how hard it can be.
I heard a suggestion yesterday to pick a time of the day and make sure you are completely living in that moment. Maybe it's in the morning during your quiet time, or driving in the car. Focus on where you are at that moment, feel all the feelings around you. Try not to think about things you have to do later that day, or worry about the future. This is a learned behavior; learning to focus will take lots of practice. If you make that certain time your "focus" time, it will teach your brain how to block out all of the other messages.

It's amazing all of the little things we could miss everyday because we are unavailable. Two years ago I was not able to sit and work on a puzzle or play a board game. My mind was so busy that I could not focus or sit still that long. I am just now getting back to watching movies. I can't tell you how many movies I missed because I was so lost in my thoughts.

The other day I was telling my Mom that I feel like I missed a few years of my daughter's life, because I was fighting for my own. I was so afraid to move and frightened. Now I cherish every moment I can, I won't get these days back.

Pick your focus time - block everything else out. Be "in" the moment!

Wishing you peaceful thoughts today,
Amy


Quote of the Day
"Concentrate all your thoughts upon the work at hand. The sun's rays do not burn until brought to a focus."

Alexander Graham Bell

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

I recently read an article in a national publication (that I can't remember now, and it's bugging me) on a similar topic. I really like the idea of taking time throughout the day to fully experience the moment: taking note of your surroundings, feeling your senses, and just being alive. I've tried it a few times and it really seems like a good way to refocus: it puts everything in perspective.