Friday, September 12, 2008

Learning to Roll With It!



Over the last couple of years I have learned that really don't like surprises. I like to know what is going to happen and the unknown is very hard for me.

We are in Houston and today we are facing Hurricane Ike. Looks like he is headed right for us. While I don't feel at all anxious or panicked I am not fond of the unknown. The last time we had a major hurricane was 1983, and I really don't remember it. I was young and did not have to handle all the major responsibilities.

Our news has been on for 24 hours trying to scare us to death about what might happen. But I am 60 miles from the shore and will probably get 90 mph wind. We are boarded up, stocked up and ready. My husband and I realized that our children will remember this for the rest of their lives so we are making the best of it. This morning we went to the park and played for a long time as a family. Tonight we will have a camp out in our bedroom and we have crafts and games for them to play over the next few days. We will probably loose power for a few days so we are going to have an ongoing "Hurricane Party".

So my point is - inside you may be nervous over something you can't control, but you have a choice. Tonight I could use this experience to spend time with my family and a few laughs amongst the wind or hide under my bed. If I hid what would I be teaching my children. Instead I am showing them to be prepared, and responsible. Now we will just ride it out and enjoy some family time away from TV, computers and the wii.

Hope it is sunny where you are. We'll be partying here!


Quote of the Day

You can't wring your hands and roll up your
sleeves at the same time.
Pat Schroeder

0 Comments: