Friday, April 3, 2009

Steps to Freedom Week: Exercise can make a Big Difference!

This week we are looking at the Steps to Freedom. Don't get overwhelmed. Follow The Daily Healing Journal and it will all be done for you.







The first few steps are all about healing your body. If your body is not strong, how can you expect your mind to be? It all works together. Remember this is all about getting you in the best shape physically & mentally. The more you put in, the more you get out.


Exercise

Have you added exercise to your daily plan. It is so important! I wasn't very active before I decided to change my life, but it made a huge difference in my healing.

People used to laugh at me when I told them I was working out for my mind, not to squeeze into smaller pants. Truth is that along the way I lost 40 lbs. in 8 months - great bonus! And it really changed the way I felt.

Here are some interesting facts about exercisebenefits for mental health:·

•Exercise will increase Serotonin, Dopamine, Endorphins.

• Research has shown that as little as eight minutes of exercise can reduce anxious feelings & reduce sadness.

• Will increase energy & stimulate the relaxation response in the body.

• Exercise can regulate sleeping patterns and reduce insomnia.

• Researchers at Duke University studied people suffering from depression for 4 months and found that 60% of the participants who exercised for 30 minutes three times a week overcame their depression without using antidepressant medication. Same percentage as those who only used medication.

It's amazing how proud of yourself you will feel as you start to realize you are a lot stronger than you ever thought you were. Getting active will also help relieve muscle tension & help burn away those stressful, anxious feelings. The affects will last for hours after.

Make sure you commit to at least 4 days a week. Really stir up a sweat. We want to get those chemicals flowing in the right direction. If you need a plan, Jonathan Roche at No Excuses Workouts has a great Free plan to get you started. His regular plan is very reasonable & great too.

Dust off those sneakers and make a plan. Can you commit to 4 days a week? Fitness time is a great place to practice your focus & living in the moment. It will quiet those loud voices in your head. I have created a workout schedule called "My Workout Log" to help you make a plan. If we have it written on our schedule in pen - we will get it done. Make your health your hobby! Make exercise a must in your daily routine. Find fun & different ways to exercise. Mix it up!
Have you printed out the sheets for the daily healing journal? Find a great binder, one from the Garage is fine. Dust it off & let's get started. I am right here with you! Don't worry.
1st page of your Binder should be The Contract for Freedom. Have you signed one yet? You can find that one here.

Here is the link for the Healing Journal. Don't want to waste ink & paper? We have them bundled up for you in the Egg Shop & they are ready to ship to you today. Each book contains 31 sheets for the month.

Make sure to read Your Daily Egg each night this week as we look at the Steps to Freedom.

Keep me posted on how you are feeling or if you have any questions. I love hearing from you!

Wishing you a peaceful day,
Amy

2 Comments:

Natalie C. said...

You know, it's so funny, I just read that chapter about What If's from a book I have by Edmond Bourne called "Coping with Anxiety." I liked his very specific advice about what to do with the what if on paper- turn it into a statement instead of a "what if" like, "Because my friend looked at me funny, she therefore hates me and I will never have any friends again." And realize how silly that sounds. And I also think it's good advice that he gave not to do it when you are at the anxiety's peak, but wait until you calm down a bit, maybe after a meditation to talk back to the anxious thoughts. But once you do, it feels awesome! :)

The Hatched Egg said...

Love that idea. That's how I do mine, but I list all of the reasons something won't happen. Great way of getting it out of your head. You are doing great Natalie. Thanks for sharing this!

Amy